God has been gracious to us and has been with us through our journey of love and life. He has carried us through some of the most difficult times and has given us joy in the midst of sorrow. He has also been loving and given us abundant blessings. Most importantly, He has provided us with faith. May we share that faith with others.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
"God's gifts put man's best dreams to shame".
Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Santa

We are not going to to the whole Santa thing with our children.  This was an area of debate for us for some time.  Dave grew up believing in Santa and had fun doing so.  As he often mentions to me - it didn't hurt him at all.  I did not grow up believing in Santa.  My parents wanted to include Santa in Christmas at first, but my older brother wouldn't fall for it.  We knew our gifts came from our parents as a response of their love for us and in gratitude for the blessings Christ had given them.  We had years of plenty and years with few presents, but we always knew we were loved.  Other traditions, like decorating, baking, spending time with family, caroling at the nursing home, and preparing the Christmas program at church were the traditions I remember most. 
Dave and I finally agreed not to include Santa in our family Christmas plans.  We think each family can make their own decision and do not think un-fondly of those who decide to add this tradition.  It can be a fun addition to Christmas plans.  Like Dave mentions, many families have done the Santa thing.  We decided to keep Christ's birth the at the forefront of our Christmas.  I believe Saint Nicholas was a great role model.  What most people don't know is that he didn't want people to know he was giving to others.  He did his giving in secret.  The Santa that has developed in our culture is one who seeks glory and fame.  I don't want our children focusing on a mortal man that will disappoint them and can not bring them the gift that matters.  I am not comfortable teaching our children about works righteousness either.  I want my children to be well behaved, but not because they will earn anything in return.  Our faith teaches us that our acts of service are in response to our love for God, not in an effort to earn redemption.  We are sinners and can not earn favor with God apart from Christ.  Only Christ's death on the cross can earn a place for us in heaven.  Aside from Easter, Christmas is the most important day of the year, and it should get all the attention it deserves.  What a miracle it was to have Christ with us!  It gives meaning to everything else.  
Liam recognizes Santa.  It's hard to miss him this time of year.  As he asks questions about the fables of Santa, we will be sure to tell him the truth of Saint Nicholas and point him back to the true meaning of Christmas.  I don't think our family traditions and preparations will suffer from the lack of Santa in our home.

2 comments:

  1. Tiffany, I came across this on Jen Hatmaker's blog. It gave me some good ideas for our kids and talks about keeping Jesus as the center of Christmas. http://jenhatmaker.com/blog/2011/11/29/the-christmas-conundrum

    Oh, and great news about your LID!! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy and I have this same discussion, as I fall on the non-Santa upbringing, too. You articulated it very nicely! Very nicely, indeed!

    ReplyDelete