God has been gracious to us and has been with us through our journey of love and life. He has carried us through some of the most difficult times and has given us joy in the midst of sorrow. He has also been loving and given us abundant blessings. Most importantly, He has provided us with faith. May we share that faith with others.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
"God's gifts put man's best dreams to shame".
Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Life As We Know It

Dave and I went 30 hours without sleep.  We weren't able to sleep on the plane because Lilly is a mover and she kept trying to roll off the seat.  So, we were exhausted when we got to Michigan.  Lilly is not on Indiana time AT ALL.  She seems like a different child when it's time to sleep.  In China she went down fine and slept through the night.  Here, she screams and yells at the top of her lungs.  She only wants to sleep if I am holding her in a chair.  She wakes up several times throughout the night.  It is exhausting.  We have tried everything to get her to sleep.  Dave and I haven't been feeling well.  We don't know if it's lack of sleep, airplane food, a bug, or all of that combined.  We really hope Lilly adjusts soon.  It's so hard to be patient when you're tired.  Thankfully, I have Dave.  I don't know what I would do without him.  He let me take a nap today, which was good for my body and spirit.  I love Lilly so much, but she is wearing me down this weekend.  This too shall pass, so I will just love her through this.  The truth is that adjustment is hard work and takes time.  We knew that going into it, but it's still human nature to get tired and discouraged.
On a happy note, Lilly was terrified of Daisy at first, but is warming up to her.  She is also playing well with Dave and Liam.  If I am in the room she wants me to hold her non-stop and whines if I am not giving her all my attention.  So, several times today I left so she couldn't see me and let her play with Dave and Liam without me there.  She was perfectly content.  I'm glad she is attached to me, but carrying her around all the time is not realistic.  I am trying to find the balance of when to give her attention and when to let her cry a little.
Liam has been a great big brother!  He has helped in so many ways.  He helps with whatever we ask him to do.  He is so patient and gentle with Lilly.  He is so happy to have mom and dad home.  Tonight, we asked him to take a bath with Lilly, so she wouldn't be scared.  He has shown her all the toys and how to use them.  It is clear that he was meant to be a big brother.  The only complaint he has is when she cries.  He says she is too loud. 

In Michigan I slept with both kids and let Dave sleep in another guest room.  Lilly didn't like the pack-n-play, and I was so tired, it was just easier to have both kids with me.

Liam shared his alphabet puzzle with Lilly.  This picture shows how they compare in size.

We're all tired, but happy to be together.

Liam showed Lilly how to play the piano.

Liam showed Lilly her room and all her toys (most of which used to be his).

Lilly took a bath without crying for the first time.  Thank you Liam!

No comments:

Post a Comment