God has been gracious to us and has been with us through our journey of love and life. He has carried us through some of the most difficult times and has given us joy in the midst of sorrow. He has also been loving and given us abundant blessings. Most importantly, He has provided us with faith. May we share that faith with others.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
"God's gifts put man's best dreams to shame".
Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Friday, June 14, 2013

Starting Point

About three weeks ago, when we first got Lilly, we were shocked with the lack of muscle strength she had.  We knew that this was a possibility.  However, Lilly's updates said she was walking, at least a little bit.  When I lifted her the first day to a standing position, she fell to the floor and her legs became like jelly.  She could hold on to furniture and take small steps, but was not cruising.  After seeing her pictures from the orphanage we know that she was walking in a walker (which wasn't adjusted to her height), so she didn't have to hold up her own body weight.  Since day one we have been working on building those muscles.  She can now take 6-7 steps without holding on.
On Wednesday of this week we had First Steps out to assess her.  A speech therapist and occupational therapist did the assessment.  Because of Lilly's cleft palate I knew she would at least need speech therapy.  After two hours of assessing her, they gave me a list of all the areas where Lilly is behind.  Developmentally, she is where an average 11 month old would be.  I'll be honest, hearing the list made me choke up.  We have so much work ahead of us.  Poor Lilly has not been exposed to the things most children have.  I think I might have made a face, because one of the therapists said, "This list by no means says anything about her mental ability.  She has already made so much progress in the short time you've had her.  This list is just things we want to work on to get her caught up.  She just hasn't had the same start as most children in America.  By the end of the summer she'll be running!"  I breathed a sigh of relief.  I should know all this.  I make these type of speeches to parents of my students all the time.  It's just different being on the other end of the conference.  So, Lilly is now in a stimulating environment.  I now know what toys and activities to focus on with Lilly.  You can bet that we are not leaving the therapy just to the professionals.
As part of Lilly's attachment period, we are limiting our trips outside the house, and the amount of interaction with other people.  However, Liam and I can't stay cooped up inside, and yesterday was such a beautiful day, so we decided to go to the park.  We were the only people there for the first hour, which was great.  When people did arrive, Lilly was ready to be held, but Liam (my social little man) was excited to have 'big' kids to play with.

All aboard!  Conductor Liam and passenger Lilly.

Liam let Lilly have a turn driving.

Lilly doesn't like the feeling of grass, but we spend a little bit of time on it everyday.  She won't try to walk on grass.  At least she played with sticks today.

Liam loved being the conductor and checking out all the cars.

My big, strong boy - singing, and turning riding a duck into an adventure.

Lilly watched Liam having so much fun on the duck, she decided to give the raccoon a try.

Lilly explored the caboose.  This was an accomplishment, because she usually wants me near her or holding her all the time.  She actually felt comfortable enough to explore.


1 comment:

  1. Lilly WILL make progress, Tiffany! Lots of it - especially with you working with her. I should have looked out my kitchen window and waved, since you were practically in our backyard. My nieces love our Grabill train, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete